Erectile dysfunction is the inability to get and keep erection firm enough for sex. Erection trouble from time to time isn’t necessarily a cause for concern. If erectile dysfunction continuse it results in stress, lack in self-confidence and also cause relationship problems. Itbcan also be a sign of an underlying health condition it is to be treated or else it may risk to have heart disease. Erectile dysfunction, must be consult to a doctor even it feels embarrassed. Treating in an underlying condition is enough to reverse erectile dysfunction. In other cases, medications or other direct treatments might be needed.
A family doctor is a good place to start when you have erectile problem. if there is a concerns about erections or experiencing other sexual problems such as premature or delayed ejaculation;having diabetes, heart disease or another known health issues.
Erectile is a complex process that involves the brain, hormones, emotions, nerves, muscles and blood vessels. It can result in stress and mental health concerns can cause or worsen erectile dysfunction. Sometimes it combines of physical and psychological issues causes erectile dysfunction. For example, there is a minor physical condition that slows your sexual response might cause anxiety about maintaining an erection. The results in anxiety can lead to or worsen erectile dysfunction.
The best way to prevent erectile dysfunction given by mayo cleanic will make healthy lifestyle choices and to manage any existing health conditions. For example:
- Work with your doctor to manage diabetes, heart disease or other chronic health conditions.
- See your doctor for regular checkups and medical screening tests.
- Stop smoking, limit or avoid alcohol, and don’t use illegal drugs.
- Exercise regularly.
- Take steps to reduce stress.
- Get help for anxiety, depression or other mental health concerns.
Diagnose erectile dysfunction and recommend a treatment. Having chronic health conditions or the doctor suspects that an underlying condition might be involved, needed further tests or a consultation with a specialist.
Tests for underlying conditions might include:
- Physical exam. This might include careful examination of penis and testicles and checking nerves for sensation.
- Blood tests. A sample of blood might be sent to a lab to check for signs of heart disease, diabetes, low testosterone levels and other health conditions.
- Urine tests (urinalysis). Like blood tests, urine tests are used to look for signs of diabetes and other underlying health conditions.
Ultrasound. This test is usually performed by a specialist in an office. It involves using a wandlike device held over the blood vessels that supply the penis. It creates a video image to let the doctor see the blood flow problem.This test is sometimes done in combination with an injection of medications into the penis to stimulate blood flow and produce an erection.
Psychological exam. the doctor might ask questions to screen for depression and other possible psychological causes of erectile dysfunction.
- These information was given by Mayo Clinic.